Frequently Asked Questions: Highlander Home Health Care Services

We provide in-home personal care services for those who qualify. Highlander will work with you to develop a plan of care to assist you with your activities of daily living needs as determined by your condition and in accordance with your primary physician’s order.

You need to fill out an application and sign a release of healthcare information so that we can obtain your medical information and an MD order to assess for the need for home care services from your primary care physician. Once the information is received, an assessment visit will be scheduled with you by one of our Registered Nurses and conducted in your home to evaluate your need for home care services. During the assessment, the patient and family need to fully cooperate with the nurse in order for the nurse to make a complete and accurate assessment. Please provide all necessary medical information to ensure you get the best care possible.


You must have a medical need and be functionally limited in providing care for yourself such as bathing, dressing, grooming, lighthouse keeping, and cooking. The assessment nurse will contact you to schedule an assessment. The assessment will take approximately 1-2 hours.


The number of hours varies and depends on your health conditions, abilities, M.D. approval, insurance approval and your physical needs. The numbers of hours and care plan will be updated every 50 to 60 days as needed to insure the best and appropriate care is provided.


Yes, Highlander will honor your decision to choose a friend or relative whom you trust and are comfortable with to provide care for you. However, that person cannot be legally responsible or your, such as a parent of a minor or a legal guardian. That person will need to go through a hiring process with Highlander which will require him/her to fill out an application, pass a background check and must get TB screening. If the potential employee is accepted, an orientation and training is required. That PCW will then work under the supervision of your RN Case Manager. If you do not have a friend or family member who is able/willing to be your PCW (caretaker), don’t worry. Highlander also has agency Personal Care Workers who can provide care for you.


In most case, your insurance or state Medicaid (T-19) and HMO will pay for the services. If you do not have insurance or Medicaid (T-19), you can go and apply at your County Health and Human Service Department. We also accept private pay and our intake service personnel will work with you to ensure you get proper information and help.


Highlander is currently accepting Medicaid (T-19) and its HMOs:

Unitedhealth Care,

Molina Healthcare, 

Managed Health Services,

Network Health Plan,

Wisconsin Care (Family Care) and private pay.


This is a sample text. You can click on it to edit it inline or open the element options to access additional options for this element.

Yes, but you must inform Highlander of any changes to your health insurance. Failure to do so may result in interruption of services or discharge from Highlander. For Medicaid or SSI recipients who would like to switch their insurance from T-19 to an HMO or HMO to T-19, call 1- 800-291-2002 and press 1 to speak to a representative.


Highlander will work with you and your family to refer you to agencies that carry your insurance or meet your home care needs.


This is a sample text. You can click on it to edit it inline or open the element options to access additional options for this element.

A Personal Care Worker is a person trained by the agency to provide care to patients in their own homes. The PCW works under the supervision of the RN Case Manager. The PCW follows a plan-of-care prepared by a registered nurse and agreed to by the patient and the patient’s primary care physician. The PCW’s assignments include food preparation, bathing, dressing, light housekeeping, transfer, and other daily living activities as needed. Each care plan is individualized to a patient’s specific condition and needs. PCW is also require to attend regular training as set by the agency and make report to the agency in regards to PCW’s role or patient’s condition change, information change.


The patient or a person who is legally responsible for the patient need to report to the agency when there are changes in patient’s condition, insurance, address and phone number. Also patient or legally responsible person needs to report when a PCW does not show up to work as schedule or if the patient is hospitalized or goes out of town so that prompt follow-up can be scheduled.